Our legacy of dedication, trust, and family ownership began over 100 years ago with the establishment of the Howard A. Eggleston Funeral Home at 603 Main Street on the East Side of Toledo. The year of 1911 was not an unusually historic year for our eastern community. By that time there were already two undertakers practicing locally. So when Howard Eggleston began his career, little was recorded, and probably no one would have guessed his funeral home would be the only local family-operated funeral home still in business on the East Side at the beginning of the 21st Century. Mr. Eggleston was a local boy who grew up with humble beginnings. Howard always felt that a successful businessman not only provided outstanding service but should have a strong commitment to the community where he was located.
Howard A. Eggleston • Kermit Meinert • Donn H. Meinert • Dennis & Elizabeth Pavley • Matthew Pavley
In 1922 Howard constructed the area's first modern funeral home at 732 Main Street. Prior to his design, funeral homes consisted of a local storefront, usually with a livery in the rear of the building. His new funeral home would include offices, a preparation area, and visitation chapels. In 1924 Kermit Meinert, Howard's son-in-law, joined the firm. As the business grew so did Howard and Kerm's commitment to the community. Howard would help his longtime friend, George Pearson, work for the purchase of Pearson Metro park. Kerm would help his friend, Warren Densmore, establish the old Neighborhood House, later to become the East Toledo Family Center; and would help lead the drive for a new East Side YMCA.
In 1954 grandson, Donn H. Meinert, became the third generation of funeral directors in the firm. At this time there were over half a dozen individual funeral homes in East Toledo. As a resident of Oregon and a former Oregon City councilman, Donn was well aware of the growth occurring in the eastern suburbs. As the community grew, so did Eggleston-Meinert-Pavley, with the completion in 1972 of the funeral home in Oregon. Located at Starr Avenue and Coy Road, this facility would see several additions, growing to over 10,000 square feet, making it possible to serve several families simultaneously in warm but spacious surroundings. In addition to Donn and his wife Elizabeth, fourth generation family members, Dennis and Elizabeth Pavley, joined the firm in 1982. Each of them individually licensed funeral directors; they continue to provide compassionate and understanding care to our community. In 2010, their son Matthew became the fifth generation of the family to join. He is currently a licensed funeral director and striving to become an integral part of the community.
In the year 2000, the funeral home grew with the completion of our Millbury location. Our new Millbury funeral home also provides families a state of the art facility with three chapels, two individual family lounges with kitchen facilities, and even a children's lounge.
Today Eggleston Meinert & Pavley has become one of the largest funeral homes in Northwest Ohio. As the oldest family-owned and operated funeral home in the eastern community, we continually strive to provide exceptional value to the families served. In the tradition of our founders, Eggleston Meinert & Pavley remains dedicated to making substantial and positive improvements to the community through the involvement of staff members in local civic organizations and functions.
Eggleston Meinert & Pavley Funeral Home | (419) 698-4301
440 South Coy Road, Oregon, OH 43616
Eggleston Meinert & Pavley Funeral Home | (419) 836-2150
1111 Woodville Road, Millbury, OH 43447
Your browser may not work with certain site. Upgrade now.